Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Sandwich

I had had a series of very difficult months. Not only did I feel besieged I was beaten down. There was nothing left. I was defeated.

When I got home I sat in my chair and stared out the window. She came downstairs and without saying a word she went to work in the kitchen. I had no idea what she could be making as there was very little in the refrigerator.

After ten or so minutes she came out of the kitchen with two beers and a sandwich made with cheese, ham, salami, and peppers. The sandwich was hot and the cheese melted as she placed it under the broiler for a few minutes. She cut the sandwich, gave me half, and she sat with me, eating and drinking, quietly sharing my burdens, my disappointment, my depression.

We are no longer together, she and I, and it has been a long while since we shared that meal but that moment fresh in my mind and the lessons I took from that evening are still with me.

It is my turn to get to work in the kitchen to prepare a meal for two and to quietly sit and share.

1 comment:

  1. It is funny how food can always bring back memories. Wonderful memories from childhood, nauseating flashbacks to morning sickness... hopefully you still enjoy your beers and cheese, ham, salami, and peppers sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete