Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Morning Rituals

I am a creature of habit. From Monday through Saturday I am a creature of routine. Depending upon the day, at certain times of the day I do certain things. I am up at 6:00 every morning, I get the kids to school by 8:00, I work until 11:00, go to the gym at 11:30, lunch at 1:00 and so on and so forth.

On Sunday, however, I have my rituals. Rituals are an attempt to give constancy and consistency to an ever changing world. The rituals of the Church are one of many reasons why I became a Roman Catholic and why I am fascinated by the Eastern Orthodox Church. However, even the Church, perhaps after clinging to the old ones a bit too long, changes its rituals once every five hundred years or so to suit the demands of the times. And so, I have found over the years, I too cling to rituals that no longer serve me and find that I too much change with the demands of the times.

This does not mean that what remains useful needs to be cast aside. Years ago I got into the habit of watching movies early on Sunday mornings. Last Sunday I watched Throne of Blood, a Japanese version of Macbeth, and this morning The Good Shepherd. I used to be able to take Joey on long walks, again, bowing to changing times, I take him out to let him sniff the ground around my apartment building and then we go out for a drive.

Such as no longer being able to take Joey out on long walks, there are many things that used to be part of my Sunday mornings that I can no longer do. Times have changed and so must I. I need new rituals for my Sundays....its a nice spring day and its 8:00 in the morning....I have a bicycle and its a nice spring day...maybe today I will ride to church. And afterwards?...well...I will figure that out when the time comes.

1 comment:

  1. We have many Sunday rituals here... we watch the 3 Stooges every Sunday morning. I read the paper over my coffee. We always have to watch America's Funniest Home Videos in the evening. Right now, I like our rituals and I think we'll keep 'em.

    ReplyDelete