Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Don't Argue With Crazy

Admittedly, there have been times in the past where I have either sought out crazy or when confronted with crazy I did not run in the other direction. Now, older and wiser, I try to avoid crazy or at least limit my exposure. But sometimes...crazy will sneak up on me when I least expect it.

Yesterday I looked at my front tire and saw that it was clearly time for it to be replaced. I called around and finally decided to take it to a local place down the street. They were a well established business, they offered a very good price, and promised to have it done for me in fifteen minutes.

I arrived with my car and was assured by the owner that my car would be ready in about ten minutes. I told him that I was going to take a quick walk and would be back soon. I was back in fifteen minutes and sure enough....my car was ready. Very pleased that I got what I was promised I engaged the owner in some chit chat....

Me: "so...how is business?"

Owner: "well....I am happy that the sun is out and that's about it."

Me: "I hear the same thing from a lot of business owners and self employed guys...its very rough out there."

Owner: "we can thank Wall Street for the mess we are in."

Me: "I think there is a lot to that... greed did play a large role in all of this."

Owner: "what you need to do is follow the money and you will follow it right to the Crown of England and to the scarlet city...Rome."

Me: thinking..."OK....suppress moral indignation and get out of here"....saying "ahhhhhhhhhhhh...how much do I owe you"

Owner: "yes...nothing happens in the world without the approval of the Crown of England and the Pope...."

Me: "how much do I owe you?"

While I was unable to escape without his prattling on some more and his shoving some pamphlets into my hand, I left before the conversation inevitably turned to that other group who is usually scapegoated during hard economic times....because you know he was going to go there...his ilk always does.

Don't argue with crazy...just leave as quickly as you can.

1 comment: