Sunday, March 21, 2010

Back To Normal....Sort Of

Yesterday I played catch with my boys, played basketball, got a sunburn, devoured a steak (farm raised, grass fed, organic and very, very delicious...), went for a walk, and watched Lawrence of Arabia...again...

...and this morning...sore all over...more fever...and more chills...thank goodness for my handy dandy antibiotics, my king sized bottle of Motrin...and thankfully...for another day without clutching chest pain...back to normal indeed.

This past week has been about discovering what the new normal will look and feel like...

Normal...the routine, the everyday, the conformance to an average...Normal...to be honest with you sounds both appealing and terrifyingly dull. Its appealing in that life is gradually returning to the way it was prior to that fateful trip to the emergency room almost two months ago. Its terrifying in that life is gradually returning to the way it was prior to that fateful trip to the emergency room almost two months ago.

While I am looking forward to life without clutching chest pain and having read all of the magazines in my doctor's waiting room fewer trips to my cardiologist I find that normal...again...that pesky word...is something that I may well have to create anew for myself.

This is not as daunting as it might seem...or at least what I keep telling myself...as I am in the same boat with everyone else in that I think we all strive to find in each of our own lives that space, that place where we have something on which we can rely, count on, and depend upon. Where we find comfort in the everyday and in the routine...While I am still looking for that place...I will take any day featuring a game of catch, Lawrence of Arabia, and a steak...

1 comment:

  1. Tom, I hope you are feeling better - really. I can imagine how on one hand "normal" will be welcomed because it will signal a return to healthy life. On the other hand, if normal looks boring to you - you have the luxury and power to reinvent normal, starting right now. This must have been a terrifying ordeal Tom, but I have a feeling you are finding the "gift" in this adversity. Take care and "way to go" re: the organic meat!

    ReplyDelete