Saturday, July 18, 2009

Ice Cream

It was at 3:15 this morning when I arrived at a critical decision that I am sure will effect the rest of my day; I decided to have a bowl of ice cream.

I was having trouble sleeping. That I am up again at 5:30 typing this posting is evidence further still that my sleep is not what it should be. I guess I have a lot of things on my mind and I am excited about the day in front of me. On most nights 3:15 is closer to my bed time than it is to the time I get up. So I decided upon my favorite sleep aid.

Something choc-a-block full of sugar may seem like a strange thing to have when one is having trouble sleeping. Not for me. I realize that for most people ice cream evokes images of ice cream cones eaten on bright summer days. For me ice cream is a comfort food, a reward earned at the end of a hard day. Yes, there have been times when I have abused ice cream (eating a half gallon right out of the box while watching an episode of House is a cry for help) but when used properly, ice cream can provide a comfort like nothing else.

The psychology of comfort food interests me but why ice cream does it for me I have no idea. I have been known to pass on it in the middle of the day, but after a long day, there is nothing better than sitting up late at night (or early in the morning) with a big bowl of smooth, creamy, icy cold ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment