Sunday, April 4, 2010

"So...How Are You Spending The Holiday?"

For me, amongst life's trick questions are;"what are your career goals?, "who do we contact in case of an emergency?", and "how are you spending the holiday?" I was asked this last question the other day and I was soooooo tempted to answer by saying "after I see my kids I am going to go home, pour myself a double scotch, question every decision I have made in my personal life over the last five years, and stare into the abyss...(insert dark laughter here)."...instead I said..."I dunno..."

Actually, I did know...I had a plan...actually I had a handful of plans...I was caught without a plan for Christmas (the holiday that comes with teeth) or for New Years so there was no way I was going to be caught unprepared for Easter. What I really wanted to do this Easter was not going to happen...so I went to Plan A...now I have enough experience with Plan A to know that I needed Plan B....which entailed lamb kebabs, my hibachi, premium German beer, and a cigar...

Admittedly...I am still trying to figure out what to do with myself on holidays (and on Sundays for that matter). The two divorced dads I know are of no help as they mark their child-free holidays with gambling and alcohol. The single women I know they spend their holidays with extended family, they go to Foxwoods, or they ignore holidays all together and they work. Clearly I need to come up with my own ideas as to how to deal with holidays....

Holidays can be like little (or big) potholes on the calender that can trip up even the best of us. Frankly, holidays like Christmas, and Thanksgiving, and Easter are and ought to be family events. However, there are those of us for whom, either by decision or circumstance, where this is not possible. So the best plan is to have a plan...its not like holidays sneak up on you...they have them marked on the calender...I checked...

So I have a plan for the next holiday on the calender...Memorial Day...and right now I am thinking steak...free range, grass fed, humanely raised steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment