Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Three Days Before Christmas

I am really trying to come up with a cheery posting....really.

After months of struggling I have decided to surrender to 2009 and admit that this was a really crappy year and that there is no sense in trying to dress it up and put a bow on it. So to cope I am trying to recognize and enjoy the little moments. Such as on Sunday when I watched Dr. Zhivago, or yesterday while working I stopped to have a cup of coffee at a Starbucks on the Cape or right now...writing...while the kids are still asleep and Joey and Spot enjoy a patch of sunlight while dozing on the carpet.

Enjoying moments such as these does not mean that I am putting off unpleasant things or avoiding the rest of my life. I know I have a difficult phone call to make later on this morning. I know that later today or tomorrow morning I am probably going to have to face a crushing disappointment. And I know... while looking at Joey...that very soon I am going to have to make a very hard, a very painful decision regarding my faithful friend.

Taking the time to enjoy these islands of peace while sailing on a sea of troubles helps...and this posting is an effort to remind myself of this.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry your week isnt turning out to be the best it should be... we are having an all around crappy week here too... prayers, love and peace to you my friend... xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, I think you have the right idea ... surrendering and then bracing yourself for the upcoming new year. It's a new start! Bthw, I love Dr Zhivago - it's a great distraction to immerse yourself in. I hope you and your little family have a wonderful holiday together.
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete