Friday, October 16, 2009

No Heat

Yesterday took forever to end and was compounded by the fact that it was raw, wet, and cold. A typical steel gray New England day. I was looking forward to my warm apartment, a nice dinner, and hanging out with Joey and Spot. And then I got home.

I noticed that the apartment was colder than usual. Yes...I do keep the thermostat down fairly low...but not to the point where you can see your breath. I tinkered with the heat and while I got the fan going I had no heat. No freaking heat. Tommy was not happy.

I called the landlord and was politely told that I would have to wait until the morning to get this addressed. I decided to reserve my ire for some future grievance as while having no heat for a night was inconvenient and uncomfortable, staying in a 57 degree apartment for one night was not the end of the world.

This has been a year of making do. Emotionally, physically, and financially. While my tenuous morale could have taken another blow last night as I sat in my chilly apartment, I decided that this was simply another challenge to overcome. As I write this this morning, while wearing three sweatshirts, I came to the conclusion that the lesson I needed to learn from this year were that perseverance and fortitude are virtues I needed to practice and that cunning and guile, which have served me well, can only take me so far. However, I think cunning and guile are what is called for to get my landlord here to fix the heat.

2 comments:

  1. Great attitude Tom! Bundle up, cosy in and drink something hot ... hot toddy??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tom... I hear ya! I got in my truck ( 3 yrs old) on Thur night.. to drive home from work in the cold rain and take my son to football practice when I realized I had NO HEAT in my truck. It was a bitter cold night to be outside for 2 hours and even worse when we got in the truck to go home and were wet and cold. It still isnt working... think the blower went kaput.. having it looked at WED!! Thats the soonest they can get to it... guess I will be parking in the garage this week. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete