Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bitten By Christmas


I thought I was going to escape Christmas this year.

Silly, silly, silly man.

This morning I was optimistic...I thought that with only two days to go I could successfully elude Christmas and would not have to worry about December 25 until next year. But Christmas is a patient hunter and it always gets its prey. While I did look over my shoulder a few times, I really didn't feel Christmas was stalking me and that I could get away from Christmas without getting bitten...because you see...Christmas comes with teeth.

I had a few close calls. In November, while with my best friend in Boston's Downtown Crossing, I felt a bit of the holiday spirit breathing down on me...but I successfully avoided getting caught. And again, earlier this month, I successfully resisted getting pulled into the holiday doldrums by deciding that Christmas, like Hannakah, is a holiday celebrated by other people but not me. As I said...I am a silly, silly, silly man.

Christmas and I do not get along. We have had our moments to be sure but for the most part we fight and I almost always end up getting mauled and bitten. Christmas is a monster that cannot be tamed or pacified...and as I said Christmas comes with teeth. But this year would be different...I would escape.

On Monday my dear friend warned me that Christmas would hunt me down...I assured her that I would escape and live to tell the tale. But a horrific Tuesday and a shaky Wednesday wore me down, leaving me weak and unable to resist today's visit by the Christmas beast. I would like to tell you that I put up a great fight but I have to tell you that it was over before it really began...

So...there is no escaping the Christmas beast. The best that one in my position can do is arrive at a plan of defense...which after I see my kids...for me includes hiding behind a mound of reheated Thai food armed with a vodka martini. Hopefully these will allow me to fend off Christmas as best as I can...

7 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard it being said.. the harder you fight something, the longer it stays...
    belated Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can NEVER escape Christmas! The retailers won't let us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the much awaited season of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christmas as in Dora the Explorer and Legos is for children, Tom. The Christmas spirit is for all.Happy Christmas, healthy new year to come. Like your site and have favourited it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas is just the best time of year. Family and friends. The warmth shared by all. It's too bad we can't keep that feeling all year.
    Thanks,
    Fun Pens

    ReplyDelete